Monday, February 2, 2015

How to tell if you have a fever...or a "cold"

Lucy has had a cold the last few days and her track record in the past has been 80% of her colds turn into croup, so I have been watching over her waiting for the first intimation of a fever.  The other day Eliza started to get a stuffy nose and I felt her forehead.   She look at me intently and said, "You are trying to see if I have a fever or if it is a cold aren't you mom"

I chuckled as I got her meaning, a fever would manifest itself as a hot forehead, on the other hand a "cold" would surely show up as a cold forehead.

So there you have it:

Fever = hot forehead
Cold = cold forehead
Lucy's new job is to make sure all the hats smell like flavor blasted goldfish. 

2 handsome fellas










3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your post, my kids have been passing around a cold or two, it then turned to pink eye for a few (yuck!), but yesterday when Ammon's turned into a fever I wondered what was going on! Remembering what you said on your post encouraged me to look up croup (which we don't get often at all) and sure enough, he matched the symptoms perfectly. It helped put me at ease knowing what was going on with the little one. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are dealing with croup. I almost always opt for the steroid shot, it forces open their airway for 36 hours (we have ended up in the ER with Jacob too many times because he could not breathe). Cold air helps A TON if they are not breathing well, nighttime is always the worst, but the steroid shot is well worth it if he is having a hard time breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that it is always worse with boys than girls, that sounds miserable with Jacob. I am glad we never had to end up in the ER, I've had the cool mist humidifier running through the night in the little boys room who are both dealing with it. Last night I had it aimed at Micah for the first half of the night, then when Ammon woke up coughing wildly, I aimed it at him. Micah seemed to notice because he was up an hour later coughing, you just can't win sometimes, and the warm weather doesn't help too much to take them out in the cold, oh well! If I ever find myself in the ER I will remember your advice on the steroid shot if we ever get that bad, I think we are on the up swing though (fingers crossed). Now it is ridding us of pink eye (thanks to the cold) that is on my agenda. Just keeping mom busy I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily