Thursday, February 16, 2012

My nose taught me something I never knew

So it has been one week and counting today that because of a nasty head cold, I lost my sense of smell and taste. It was amazing to me how this affected my life.

For starters I couldn't smell stinky diapers, Eliza now has a terrible rash because I didn't change her in time, I burnt the muffins because I couldn't smell them, and didn't know that our garbage was stinking up our entire house:) until Jared pointed it out. I didn't even know when I had terrible morning breath.

Loosing my sense of taste proved to be just as much of a hindrance. I could not properly salt, and flavor food because I could taste it. I over salted the eggs, and undersalted the rice, the list could go on. Not to mention I completely lost my desire to eat, the joy of eating was gone :( Jared even offered me Cafe Rio on valentine's day and I opted for a rain check because without the flavor it just wasn't that exciting.

What I have learned:

Our senses are there to help us and bring us JOY!

If we let our spiritual senses get dull, we may look normal, even sort of feel normal, but we will miss out on important things that can most readily be discerned by our sense of spirituality. We will miss the joy this sense brings if it is not functioning properly.

Today my senses of taste and smell are almost up to par, and I had a roll and didn't want anything on it because it tasted SO yummy just the way it was. I can't believe how excited I am to be able to smell stinky diapers, cook food properly, and just enjoy the smell of my lotion :)

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily