Thursday, February 9, 2012

A trip to the doctors, for small children and me...

Yesterday I braved the doctor all by myself, with of course the 4 kiddos.  It began well enough, peaceful car-ride, but degenerated into a very difficult situation. 

Eliza has been sick and fevering for 6 days now, and coughing like none other.  Hazel has been going for about 4 days, and Miriam about 2, Jacob just has a sniffley nose for now, but only time will tell :)

Hazel told me on the way to the doctor she was happy to go with me, but she WAS NOT going to sit on the counter for the doctor.  I distracted her with the fishes in the waiting room.

The first thing they wanted Hazel to do was stand on the scale, she became hysterical and began screaming, "IT'S JUST TOO HARD..."

I had to set Eliza down and gently force Hazel to get on the scale, That got Eliza screaming.  Jacob and Miriam remained under control.

We were corralled in to the small check up room, full of what Miriam decided were scary pictures painted of the bad guys in Harry Potter, and she wanted to hold onto my leg.  So 2 screaming kids, and 1 tugging on my pant leg. 

After having to take the blood pressure 3 or 4 times because there was too much screaming, we finally got a reading on Hazel.  The doctor said it was high (I think because she was hysterical), so we had to let the pressure cuff give her arm another "fun hug"

More screaming for both girls, my face was getting really red...

The doctor looked at both girls and stuck the popscicle stick down their throats, pinned them screaming to the table and looked in their ears.

Finally I let Hazel put her boots back on, which quieted her because she knew we were done.  We left the office with one prescription, and council to come back for Hazel if it persists for a few more days.

On the way out they got to choose a sticker and to my utter amazement Jacob began crying because he couldn't see a sticker he liked, they were all girly...

We got in the car and Hazel emphatically said, "That doctor, who stuck a Popsicle stick in my throat, is NOT MY FRIEND!!!!"

So now we have one round of antibiotics and are hopeful we do not have to go back for more, but if we do, I might schedule my appointment so my dear hubby can go with me. 

Here's to healthier summer days!!!

1 comments:

  1. wow! you are brave. I've done the doctors a few times with the three kids, it's a lot of work, especially if we wait for the doctor in the room. My kids don't scream, but they like to climb on everything, get into every cupboard, and push any button they can. We usually resort to playing 'i spy' or ring-around the rosie. Now, if I can I schedule appointments after 3:30 so Aaron can be home to watch the kids that don't need to go with me.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily